Present: Helen McIlroy, Isabel Oleary, Woll Newall

Observers: None

Apologies: Paul Selby

Minutes: Following the meeting, the minutes of the previous committee meeting (27/4/26) were agreed as a true and accurate record.

Matters arising/Actions

  1. IO to arrange meeting with Nathan about STAG’s role in the SSTP. 2/6/26
  2. WN to send out the Constitution vote. Done.

Items on the Agenda

Item 1:Tree Planting Project

We have not heard anything back from Amey regarding the proposed locations yet.

The community planting process is being reviewed by the SSTP, but it’s not clear why or what might change. It seems likely that the cost will go up, which might make it prohibitive for communities (and individuals, especially in low tree-equity areas) to plant trees. 

There seems to be a bottleneck somewhere in the current process, but not clear. There are known problems with the current use of Tree For Streets (that is currently used by individuals wanting to plant a tree outside their house and some smaller fundraising groups, but not NESST or STAG) – inefficient and unreliable – but it seems that in future all planting may be forced to go via TFS (but the current TFS process is not workable for larger planting schemes). 

There will be an SSTP meeting about the community planting process on the 26th May.

Action – IO and HM will be attending some upcoming SSTP meetings that may make things clearer and will report back.

Item 2: Campaign Archive Project

A very positive initial meeting was held with around 7 campaigners. One person at that meeting has an existing contact with Sheffield Archives (part of SCC) and will contact them to find out more about what they do and if it might be suitable for the campaign archive (both digital and physical).

See item 3, mentioning that it has been noted by Rights of Nature campaigners that such cultural change is often supported and brought about through story-telling, which would be a major part of the campaign archive.

Funding for the archive needs to be explored. It’s not just a one-off spend to ‘create’ the archive. There will be ongoing costs for storing the digital archive online, so a funding stream that matches the costs will need to be found. The physical archive of materials and artefacts will also need to be funded/stored and made accessible.

Some doubt was expressed that SCC would be suitable as reliable holders of the digital or physical archive in the long term and for the digital access requirements.

Action

  • HM to contact Anne Barr to discuss potential storage of physical archive artifacts and any relevant experience she may have (she arranged a ‘photos of trees’ exhibit in the past).
  • Waiting on update regarding Sheffield Archives, and the initial Archive Group will have another meeting after that.
  • All to think of more campaigners who might want to join the Archive Group.
  • HM to think about funding for the Campaign Archive Project.


Item 3: Rights of Nature

A discussion was prompted by a recent Festival of Debate talk about RoN, that mentioned that the cultural change required is often supported and brought about through story-telling, which would be a major part of the campaign archive. There may be interest from the Sheffield Greenbelt groups in RoN, as it is closely related to the situation they are campaigning about. It was acknowledged that while STAG could support such an initiative, it would be more effective for wider-focused and active campaign groups like Sheffield Greenbelt Alliance to take the lead. Would Paul Powlesland be interested in helping them/STAG?

Action – No specific action


Item 4: SSTP

We need to clarify what the role of STAG is in the SSTP. There have been statements from some that STAG is (co)responsible for delivering the outcomes of the SSTP, and that it cannot be a critical friend, but it’s difficult to see that STAG has any power/control over the actual delivery process. STAG needs to clarify what its role is, to be effective in the SSTP.

The processes of the SSTP were discussed, especially the seeming lack of clarity over specific actions related to the 6 Outcomes of the SSTP, who is assigned those actions and the timelines.

Action – IO, HM and WN will meet Nathan to discuss this and hopefully get more clarity.


Item 5: STAG Public Facebook Group

How do we proceed? Do we just silently stop doing anything about the unauthorised acquisition of a STAG asset that the Committee is legally responsible for holding in trust for members? Should we contact the unauthorised admins again (eg pointing out that their legal advice tells them they must hand control over it back to the Committee now evidence has been found that 100% shows that it is a STAG asset)? What does the Committee need to do to document to members what the situation is (eg if the Committee has the view that taking legal action is not appropriate/too expensive) once we have decided what action to take – to cover the Committee member’s personal legal responsibilities as trustees?

Action – All to think about it for the next meeting


Item 6: Constitution

The adoption of the new constitution was supported by a large majority of members (88%). This is great news, as it puts STAG in a much better position going forward for carrying out it’s goals.

Action – WN to update the constitution on the STAG website.

Item 7: Cooptees/Resignations

Circumstances have changed for some Committee members so they have resigned. This will be announced in the newsletter.  We could really do with finding some cooptees to replace them, so that the work isn’t all on the remaining Committee members. We need to think of potential cooptees. Possibly the renewed activity and involvement of ‘new’ people in the Campaign Archive Project may lead to some potential cooptees.

Action – All to think about possible cooptees.


Item 8: AOB

Suggested date for next newsletter 16th June.

Action –IO to collate/write.

Date of next meeting

Not decided